MARINATED SARDINES, OLIVES & ORANGE
Marinated sardines, olive,orange and arbequina
Eduard Xatruch – Compartir Restaurant, Cadaqués, Catalonia.
This dish makes the most of the classic olive-vinegar-sardine combination. On this dish, the flavours of green olives, black olives and olive oil are brought together in harmony. So that none of the flavours lose their own identity, Arbequina CAVIAROLI is used. In this way, the olive oil does not mix with the sauce, which is the green olive juice and black olive purée.
12 medium sardines
150g white wine vinegar
300g extra virgin olive oil
- Scale and fillet the fish.
- Put the indicated amounts of vinegar, salt and water into a container.
- Marinate the sardine fillets in the salt mixture for an hour in the fridge.
- Strain the sardine fillets from the marinade and dry on kitchen towel.
- Keep the marinated sardines covered in olive oil in the fridge.
GREEN OLIVE JUICE
200g Manzanilla olives
0.2g xanthan gum
- Pit the olives and blend the flesh in a blender until reaching a purée.
- Pass this purée through a muslin cloth to make the green olive juice.
- Thicken 100g of green olive juice with the indicated amount of xanthan gum. Mix the juice and xanthan gum until there are no more lumps.
- Keep it in the fridge.
ORANGE AND ORANGE BLOSSOM JELLY
50g orange blossom water
2g orange zest
½ sheet 2g gelatin
- Mix the orange blossom water, sugar and water.
- Bring to the boil, take off the heat and add the wrung-out gelatine and orange zest.
- Pour into a container that allows you to achieve a height of 1cm and leave to set in the fridge.
FINISH AND PRESENTATION
20g ARBEQUINA OLIVE OIL CAVIAROLI
16 fresh fennel leaves
Ras el hanout spices
- Drain the oil from the sardine fillets and place 6 of them on each plate, as displayed in the photo.
- Distribute 3 orange segments and 3 pieces of orange blossom jelly on each plate.
- Drizzle the green olive juice on the plate and add drops of black olive purée and fennel oil on top.
- Season the orange segments with a pinch of ras el hanout spices and distribute the fresh fennel leaves all over the plate.
- Finish off with some orange zest on top of the jelly and place some Arbequina olive oil CAVIAROLI on the sardine fillets.