All our Wagyu Tomahawks steaks are dry-aged for a minimum of 20 days, Feed on a mixed diet of grass and grain, and finished on a 120 day diet based on olives.
Tomahawk steak is an on the bone Ribeye steak, with the entire bone left on. The long rib bone is trimmed slightly with just enough meat to allow for the carnivore in us to nibble all that gorgeous meat off. With all the delicious intramuscular fat that releases its flavours during cooking plus the extra richness from the rib bone giving it a sweet gelatinous taste, this piece leaves quite an impression and is an ideal dinner table discussion. The olive feed that is added to the diet enhances the umami flavours and tenderness of the meat whilst also, by increasing the monounsaturated fats, giving a beautiful lightness in the bite and on the palate that sets it apart.
The Tomahawk Steak is a thick Ribeye steak with an impressive presentation. The great infiltration of intramuscular (fat marbling) together with the rib bone gives it a great flavor and exceptional juiciness. The weight of each piece is around 1.2 Kg, a fact that makes it an ideal cut to share between 2-3 people.
The thickness of the piece depends on the thickness of the rib and is generally 4-6 cm. Its name comes from the shape of the cut similar to a tomahawk axe, and it is a cut especially suitable for meat gourmets. If you have already tried other pieces with bone such as the T-Bone or the Porterhouse, this cut will surprise you.
These Wagyu steaks are coming from F1 Wagyu crossed with Holstein breed, they are known for its consistency in flavor and tenderness and is one of our British projects to raise here Wagyu Beef, our farms are based in Yorkshire.
WHAT IS A TOMAHAWK STEAK?
Tomahawk steak is the ultimate ‘wow-factor’ steak! It got its name because its shape resembles the Tomahawk axe with the meat forming the head and the bone the handle. It has strength and superiority all over it! It’s not actually very common on restaurant menus, mainly because it’s such a large steak that it’s best suited for feeding two people, but is becoming increasingly popular in homes around the country.
The Tomahawk is cut from the rib, the fore-rib to be precise and has the bone in. This gives it a particularly succulent flavour and superior texture. The steak is french-trimmed to create a stunning steak not just to eat, but to look at too. It looks incredible on your plate, presented to guests or enjoyed as a mid-week treat!
Because it’s a bone-steak, the Tomahawk has a good amount of inter-muscular fat, which is where the flavour comes from. When it’s cooked this fat melts and the flavour of the bone is released. It creates an intense and mouth-watering taste.
If you like other bone-in steaks, like the T-bone or powerhouse, then you’ll love the Tomahawk. It comes from the same primary muscle, the back muscle as these two steaks, so is very similar.
HOW TO COOK TOMAHAWK STEAK
While a lot of steaks are fried, due to the size of the Tomahawk steak (a minimum thickness of 2 inches!), most people put it in the oven or the BBQ (both work well!). Trying to fry it would either result in a cold middle or a really overdone exterior!
- Take the steak out of the fridge at least 20 minutes before cooking to get it up to room temperature and season it will salt and pepper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC.
- Sear the Tomahawk steak on a very high heat in a large frying pan (if you have one big enough!) to lock in the flavours. You probably won’t need any oil, just a very hot pan.
- Transfer to the hot oven to cook for 15 minutes. Alternatively, you can cook it on the BBQ which is a fantastic choice as it creates a rich, smokey flavour. The best way to do this is to use an internal meat thermometer to ensure it’s cooked until the optimum temperature for medium-rare is achieved (58ºC).
- Remove from the oven (or BBQ!) and leave to rest for 10-15 minutes. This is important for all steaks, but especially for the tomahawk. As the bone is left in, this gives the heat in the bone a chance to be distributed throughout the steak, making it especially juicy and tasty!
The steak is ready to eat! To separate the meat, hold the bone in one hand and cut along the bone lengthways.
A minimum of 3 months from shipment